From the middle of teh 12th century onwards, it housed an important lumber, hay and cattle market, wich culminated, in 1897, with the birth of the famous horse fair, or Verona Fieracavalli.
The square started taking on its today’s appearance diurng the first half of the 16th century,when the architect Michele Sanmicheli inaugurated in today’s row of buildings by building the Palazzo degli Honorii, or Palazzo Guastaverza. It wasn’t until after the Valpolicella pink marble
paving of the Liston promenade, between 1770 and 1782, that Piazza Bra took on its today’s appearance with numerous bars and restaurants, a favorite piace far the people of Verona to enjoy life. At the numerous café tables Verona people and tourists alike savor prelibati, dishes and ice cream, or sip their aperitits, admiring one of the most beautitul squares of the city, and the graceful strolfing of its beautiful people.