Adjacent to Piazza Erbe, and facing Piazza dei Signori, one finds a complex of Scala family buildings. Upon entering the Piazza dei Signori from Piazza Erbe, one walks through the Arco della Costa. On the right there is the Palazzo del Comune, also known as the Palazzo della Ragione, built at the end of the 12th century, which today is a museum. Originally the palace presented four corner towers, of which there are only two standing today. Passing through the building, one discovers the well conserved courtyard called the Mercato Vecchio, where in the summer a festival for theater and music is celebrated.
The Loggia del Consiglio was built between 1476 and 1493, as the assembly seat for the town council. It presents an eight-section round-arched portico, and at the piano nobile there are four wide mullion windows. On top of the building, there are statues of illustrious figures of Verona during the Roman times (Catullus, Pliny, Marcus Emilius , Vitruvius, and Cornelius Nepos). Over the arch that connects the Loggia with the Casa della Pietà, there is a statue of Girolamo Fracastoro, who was a doctor, a poet, and an astronomer, from Verona. Closing the square, one finds the Palazzo dei Giudici, which was the seat of the “podestà” and of the “Consigli minori”. And finally, from the 15th century onwards, it was the dwellings of the Venetian judges.