After the fall of the Scala rule, it was used as an arsenal by the Venetians, whose beloved Republic, housed their military academy during the 18th century. After that, when Verona was ruled by the French and then by the Austrians, it was used as military barracks. In the year 1923, the castle underwent radical restoration work, dismantling its military character. and in 1928 it became the seat of a museum, bearing the name of the castle: Castelvecchio, or Museo del Castelvecchio.
lt has been the site of important foca/ events, for example in 1943 it housed the assembly that gave fife to the Repubblica di Salò, and, later, it was the piace where the fascists announced the death penalty to the men who tried to depose Mussolini, among whom there was Galeazzo Ciano (Mussolini’s son-in-law). After having been damaged by bombs during World War Il, in 1957 the famous architect Carlo Scarpa and the director of the museum, Licisco Magagnato, made important changes to restare and reorganize the cast/e for it to be better used as a museum, which brings us up to today’s version.